Monday, February 15, 2010

The Honeybees



Happy lil' bee...somehow flying sans wings!

****************


Hello! So, while home for the weekend I came across the first essay I've ever written! I have to say, it's pretty adorable. I wrote it in 1st grade (7 years old) and it's all about honeybees. The illustrations are on the original essay (now in a frame, thanks to my mom!)...and I know, you don't have to tell me, they are absolutely stunning and necessary to the overall comprehension of this intricate text ;)

But really, it's so fun for me to read over this and recall the inner mind of my 7 year-old self...I think the most interesting aspect of this little essay is the interaction with the reader. Hm..

Ok, without further ado, here it is!





The Honeybees

One kind of bee is the worker bee. It collects nectar to make honey. Without bees we wouldn't have flowers and I just LOVE flowers. I like the smell. I pick them for my mom.

I also like honey. I don't know if you like honey. It is my favorite.

I like bees. I don't like the stinger. It hurts me! Ouch! I bet it hurts you too.

I see worker bees around my house collecting nectar. At my friends house I got a spoonful of honey. Yum!

The worker bee knows its job. When I was a baby I didn't know my job.

I wonder about bees. Do they only live for six weeks? I live longer. You do too.

The worker bee has a long tongue to suck the nectar. It has pockets on its legs to collect the pollen. It takes the nectar back to the hive and stores it in the comb.

Yum! I love honey! I have crackers with honey. It is good. Bees like honey too. Sometimes bees get tired and die. Oh dear! The beehive is crowded. If it gets too crowded some bees will have to leave. I wouldn't like leaving my family.

by Julia Howe







No comments:

Post a Comment