Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Music is the memory of what never happened



I was thinking of beautiful music today and called to mind C. Dreyer's 1928 "Jean D'Arc".  An incredibly moving, black and white, silent (initially), French film that I was first introduced to in a film class in college.  It's composed of almost 100% close-up shots, which I love and I think that it is perfect for the narrative. The film details the last hours of the life of Joan of Arc and takes place after she was captured by the English. It depicts her trial, imprisonment, torture, and execution much as a passion play would.  I was thinking about this film as I was walking home.  What about this film touches me? Why, when everybody else in my class declared it was their least favorite film of the semester, did I tear up, get a lump in my throat and wear it for hours after exposure?

The answer?  I don't know, exactly.  But for one, the woman who plays Jean (Joan), Renee Falconetti, is stunning.  Her facial expressions are perfection and she is absolutely the woman for the role.  Her facial expressions, her movements, everything...derives from the heart.  And that's what makes her so believable. 

Also, the music is almost unbearably moving.  The musical score is called "Voices of Light" and...wow.  

While the components of the film are enough to touch anyone (or at least anyone beyond film 101), I have always felt a connection with Joan of Arc's tale.  Who knows why, the possible reasons are countless.  But something about being deeply misunderstood, unable to effectively pass on the truth, suffering severe, undeserved consequences...maybe it's something we can all relate to on some level.  Whatever the case is though, I have always had an innate, almost secretive reverence for Joan and this film brings that to the surface.

Anyway, you definitely have to be in the right mood for it.  It's not a "hey, let's all veg out on a friday night and watch C. Dreyer's Jean D'Arc".  I almost prefer watching it in solitude, for one.  But also, it is fairly long and requires a certain state of mind/being in order to be fully received.  Below is one small segment.  I recommend, if you ever feel it's the right time, one day sitting down and watching the entire film (I think that now, through finding little segments on youtube, you can actually see the whole thing online.  Or Netflix it).  Feast your eyes, ears, and hearts:




*******************************
I have so much more I want to write about, but now I don't have time!  This weekend I will write a nice long post :)


biz





No comments:

Post a Comment