Saturday, May 2, 2009

The sky's as blue as the coffee's strong, it's true






Goooooood morning.  It's interesting [cannot decide if I see it as a good or bad thing], no matter what time I go to bed, 11, 1am, or 4am, I almost always wake up before 9.  In a way I appreciate it because I don't feel like I have wasted a portion of my day...but, at the same time, I know I probably need more sleep.  And speaking of sleep and not having it, I had intense insomnia a few nights ago.  It was muggy, hot, gross, in my bedroom.  Opening the windows did nothing.  I don't own a fan [yet] and it just wasn't happening.  Anyway, for some reason my grandma popped into my mind and wouldn't leave.  My mother's mother...Irma (such an adorable, classic grandma name, right?).  I am not close to her at all, as she lives in WI and rarely get to see her.  But there she was, in my head that night.  She has Alzheimer's now.  I am finally at an age where I would love to visit her and rack her brain about life in the early 20th century (she's almost 90), how she fell in love with my grandpa, what it was like being pregnant nine times, how she was as a young adult, etc., but it's all gone.  Anyway, at 3am I was thinking about all of that and this is what came out:


Hush, Memory


speaks
in the palpable  heaviness
of my bedroom tonight.  This heat
is something I had forgotten
until now.  How it calls
out to the secret crevasses
of my subconscious.  No breeze
to sweep away what
I had planned on saving
for next season.
[and then the next].

And somehow she's here,
stagnant in my mind, as if
the sap-like air cushions not
only my history, but now
the questions marks
of my grandmother's.

I roll to my my side
and she says, hush.
I'm listening now
to the memories I've fabricated
of her youth.  Unraveling
a sweater 

that never was. Composing
elaborate stories
in a lazy effort to understand the
narratives that course
through my being.  My blood
whispers tales of ancestors
I know too well.

In the stickiness 
of this sleepless night 
[this sudden, impossible, pool of thought]
my throat locks, I see
my tiny grandmother, a woman
whom I never truly knew, the woman
whom my mother calls mom,
and I reach my arm out--
toward center of this
all too quiet room.  
But things fall
apart, and

maybe

I am hoping
that her memories
can be lassoed, retrieved,
re-membered.  Years, decades
of a life washed away
and replaced with blank 
expressions and white waiting
rooms.  X in the appropriate squares.  
I'm going to tell you 
five things,
now,

when I return, repeat
them back to me
in the same

order.

Cactus, mouse, hammer, spring, and pen.

Did you take your pills?
Have you had breakfast?
Do you want to go for a car ride?
Maybe this will work...
Don't strip away her dignity, please.

She was there
when I was born.  Rosebud lips,
she said.  What we share.  These lips
are possibly all that we'll ever know
we share.  But even those
are fading into the marks
of events past.  Her voice now rests
within the severe parentheses 
of shelved laughter, evaporating
frowns.

It's too much, this
heat wrapping around me.
Nothing moves.  Thoughts come
and loiter, hovering in the molasses
of the night.  Oozing, each waiting
for its turn.



************************************

I would write more, but the morning wants me to be outside.  Will write more tomorrow. Have lots to share.

************************************

Etymology for the day:


hug
1567, hugge "to embrace," perhaps from O.N. hugga "to comfort," from hugr "courage, mood," from P.Gmc. *hugjan, related to O.E. hycgan "to think, consider," Goth. hugs "mind, soul, thought." Other have noted the similarity in some senses to Ger. hegen "to foster, cherish," originally "to enclose with a hedge." The noun was originally (1617) a hold in wrestling.



No comments:

Post a Comment